Interpersonal relationships are essential to human life. Yet, some individuals struggle to obtain and maintain those important social bonds. In my research, I have focused on both 1) the influence of personality upon relationship initiation and maintenance and 2) normative processes within romantic social bonds, e.g., feelings of transparency and social support. Overall, I take a person x situation interactionist approach, focusing on the contexts that elicit differences in individuals varying along the continuum of security (self-esteem; attachment; general perceived responsiveness).
- Cameron, J. J., Finnegan, H., & Morry, M. (2012). Orthogonal Dreams in an Oblique World: A Meta-analysis of the Association of Attachment Anxiety and Avoidance. Journal of Research in Personality, 46, 472-476.
- Cameron, J. J., Holmes, J. G., & Vorauer, J. D. (2011). Cascading Metaperceptions: Signal Amplification Bias as a Consequence of Reflected Self-esteem. Self and Identity, 10, 1-17.
- Cameron, J. J., Holmes, J. G., & Vorauer, J. D. (2009). When self-disclosure goes awry: Negative consequences of self-disclosure for insecure individuals. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 45, 217-222.
- Cameron, J. J., Ross, M., & Holmes, J. G. (2002). Loving the one you hurt: Positive effects of recounting a transgression against an intimate partner. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 38, 307-314.
- Cameron, J. J., Stinson, D. A., *Gaetz, R. & *Balchen, S. (2010). Acceptance is in the Eye of the Beholder: Self-esteem and Motivated Perceptions of acceptance from the Opposite Sex. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 99, 513-529.
- Cameron, J. J., Stinson, D. A., & Wood, J. V. (2013). The Bold and the bashful: Self-esteem, gender, and relationship initiation. Social Psychological and Personality Science, 4(6), 685-692.
- Robinson, K. J., & Cameron, J. J. (2012). Self-esteem is a shared relationship resource: Additive effects of dating partners’ self-esteem levels predict relationship quality. Journal of Research in Personality, 46, 227-230.
- Stinson, D. A., Cameron, J. J., & Robinson, K. (in press). The good, the bad, and the risky: Self-esteem, rewards and costs, and goal pursuit during relationship initiation. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships.
- Stinson, D. A., Cameron, J. J., Wood, J., Gaucher, D., & Holmes, J. G. (2009). Deconstructing the "reign of error": A risk-regulation account of the self-fulfilling prophecy of acceptance. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 35, 1165-1178.
- Vorauer, J. D., & Cameron, J. J. (2002). So close, and yet so far: Can social bonds foster transparency overestimation? Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 83, 1344-1352.
- Vorauer, J. D., Cameron, J. J., Holmes, J. G., & Pearce, D. G. (2003). Invisible overtures: Fears of rejection and the signal amplification bias. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 84, 793-812.
- Holmes, J. G., & Cameron, J. J. (2005). An integrative review of theories on relationship cognition: An interdependence theory perspective. In M. W. Baldwin (Ed.), Interpersonal cognition (pp. 415-447). New York: Guilford.
Jessica J. Cameron
Department of Psychology
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 2N2
- Phone: (204) 474-7490
- Fax: (204) 474-7599