My primary interest is how personality influences relationships and how relationships, in turn, influence personality. My current research addresses how insecurity influences communication in relationships, perceptions of communication (metaperceptions or signal amplification bias), social support seeking, and relationship initiation. With my interest in both personality and social contexts, most of my research takes a Person x Situation interactionist perspective. I have also taken a special interest in the measurement of insecurity, especially the models of self and other.
- Cameron, J. J., Holmes, J. G., & Vorauer, J. D. (2009). When self-disclosure goes awry: Negative consequences of self-disclosure for insecure individuals. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 45, 217-222.
- Cameron, J. J., Ross, M., & Holmes, J. G. (2002). Loving the one you hurt: Positive effects of recounting a transgression against an intimate partner. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 38, 307-314.
- Cameron, J. J., Stinson, D. A., *Gaetz, R. & *Balchen, S. (2010). Acceptance is in the Eye of the Beholder: Self-esteem and Motivated Perceptions of acceptance from the Opposite Sex. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 99, 513-529.
- Stinson, D. A., Cameron, J. J., Wood, J., Gaucher, D., & Holmes, J. G. (2009). Deconstructing the "reign of error": A risk-regulation account of the self-fulfilling prophecy of acceptance. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 35, 1165-1178.
- Vorauer, J. D., & Cameron, J. J. (2002). So close, and yet so far: Can social bonds foster transparency overestimation? Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 83, 1344-1352.
- Vorauer, J. D., Cameron, J. J., Holmes, J. G., & Pearce, D. G. (2003). Invisible overtures: Fears of rejection and the signal amplification bias. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 84, 793-812.
- Holmes, J. G., & Cameron, J. J. (2005). An integrative review of theories on relationship cognition: An interdependence theory perspective. In M. W. Baldwin (Ed.), Interpersonal cognition (pp. 415-447). New York: Guilford.
Jessica J. Cameron
Department of Psychology
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 2N2
- Phone: (204) 474-7490
- Fax: (204) 474-7599